From: Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving HOMEPAGE out of ebuilds for the future
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:50:09
1 Jan Kundrát:
2 > Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
3 > > I have a very quick proposal: why don't we move the packages' homepage
4 > > in metadata.xml (since it's usually unique for all the versions)
5 >
6 > I believe the reason was that HOMEPAGE might change with new versions
7 > and that metadata.xml didn't (doesn't?) support version-specific data.
8
9 In most (nearly all?) cases a HOMEPAGE change does also affect older versions.
10 Does someone have an example where older versions stay at an old homepage
11 and newer versions moved to a new homepage? Which (and how many) packages would be affected by that?
12
13 If this does affect a larger number of packages (i doubt so) we might add something like this:
14 <link type="homepage:old">http://package.oldbarfoo.org</link>
15 or we allow more than 1 homepage item to be specified of which we can
16 use the title attribute to describe for which versions this homepage
17 item applies. Anyways, all of these would only be quick hacks for a
18 rather short timeframe which it takes to stable a new version and remove
19 the older one.
20
21 In general I do like that proposal, especially the addition of further
22 links for bug trackers, forums, irc-channels, gentoo-specific
23 documentation and so on.
24
25 Tobias