From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ACCEPT_RESTRICT for questionable values of RESTRICT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 02:41:24
1 On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:00:42 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Wednesday 10 January 2007 13:45, Jakub Moc wrote:
5 > > Real solution, sure... RESTRICT=sandbox is not a solution, it's
6 > > identical to the current hackish workaround, so I guess we can save
7 > > portage folks the trouble...
8 >
9 > except that RESTRICT is the documented method for disabling user
10 > FEATURES in ebuilds ... it works for pretty much every FEATURE except
11 > some -mike
12
13 Ok, before this myth gets stuck any more:
14 FEATURES and RESTRICT are two independent entities. That *some* FEATURES
15 have a matching RESTRICT value is more a coincidence that a design
16 pattern. Also RESTRICT handles some things that have no matching entry
17 in FEATURES (like the infamous RESTRICT=fetch for example) or have a
18 different meaning than their matching FEATURES value (e.g.
19 RESTRICT=mirror has nothing in common with FEATURES=mirror).
20
21 Marius
22
23 PS: this isn't an argument for or against the original proposal.
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list