From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 14:09:53
1 On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:57:38 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > > [...]
5 > > > > > > > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:ReqUse
6 > > > > > >
7 > > > > > > I really don't like the reordering thing. Even the
8 > > > > > > restricted syntax does not fix the issue with '^^ ( a b )
9 > > > > > > b? ( a )' already mentioned here. It'd be much better and
10 > > > > > > simpler for the spec just to assign a fixed value and use
11 > > > > > > the solving rules with those.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > You're not going to convince me by providing examples that are
14 > > > > > utterly broken by design and meaningless ;-).
15 > > > >
16 > > > > Well... if it's so obvious that the example is broken by design
17 > > > > that you don't even bother to explain why, I assume you have an
18 > > > > algorithm for that. Where is the code ? What are the numbers ?
19 > > > > How many ebuilds might fail after reordering ? How can this be
20 > > > > improved ?
21 > > >
22 > > > Are you arguing for the sake of arguing here? I just presumed that
23 > > > this example is so obviously broken there is no point wasting any
24 > > > more time on it. The code of nsolve clearly detects that, so I
25 > > > don't really understand what you're trying to prove here.
26 > >
27 > > Those are real questions. You should take breath, think a bit about
28 > > it, and try to run the 2 possible orderings of the ^^ through
29 > > nsolve or even solve.py. They both are very happy (and are right to
30 > > be) with the above ordering. You might want to think a bit more
31 > > about what is the relation between this broken 10 chars example and
32 > > the 10 lines python targets one below.
33 > >
34 > > You should also realize that all the above questions have already
35 > > been answered in length if you do as I suggest.
36 >
37 > No. I have already spent too much time on this. We're already long
38 > past all useful use cases, and now I feel like you're going to argue
39 > to death just to find a perfect algorithm that supports every absurd
40 > construct anyone can even write, if only to figure out the construct
41 > is completely useless.
42
43 I'm not going to argue to death. It's already proven reordering is
44 broken.
45
46 > If you want to play with it more, then please by all means do so.
47
48 There is nothing to do for reordering. It's broken by design.
49
50 > However, do not expect me to waste any more of my time on it. I've
51 > done my part, the code works for all reasonable use cases and solves
52 > all the problems I needed solving. If you want more, then it's your
53 > job to do it and solve the resulting issues.
54
55 Like... writing code handling all the cases and describing how it
56 works ? We're past that. The only thing we're not past is that you fail
57 to understand it and attempt to block it.
60 Alexis.