From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Forced/automatic USE flag constraints (codename: ENFORCED_USE)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 15:59:26
1 On śro, 2017-06-14 at 16:09 +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Jun 2017 15:57:38 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > [...]
5 > > > [...]
6 > > > > > > > > [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:ReqUse
7 > > > > > > >
8 > > > > > > > I really don't like the reordering thing. Even the
9 > > > > > > > restricted syntax does not fix the issue with '^^ ( a b )
10 > > > > > > > b? ( a )' already mentioned here. It'd be much better and
11 > > > > > > > simpler for the spec just to assign a fixed value and use
12 > > > > > > > the solving rules with those.
13 > > > > > >
14 > > > > > > You're not going to convince me by providing examples that are
15 > > > > > > utterly broken by design and meaningless ;-).
16 > > > > >
17 > > > > > Well... if it's so obvious that the example is broken by design
18 > > > > > that you don't even bother to explain why, I assume you have an
19 > > > > > algorithm for that. Where is the code ? What are the numbers ?
20 > > > > > How many ebuilds might fail after reordering ? How can this be
21 > > > > > improved ?
22 > > > >
23 > > > > Are you arguing for the sake of arguing here? I just presumed that
24 > > > > this example is so obviously broken there is no point wasting any
25 > > > > more time on it. The code of nsolve clearly detects that, so I
26 > > > > don't really understand what you're trying to prove here.
27 > > >
28 > > > Those are real questions. You should take breath, think a bit about
29 > > > it, and try to run the 2 possible orderings of the ^^ through
30 > > > nsolve or even solve.py. They both are very happy (and are right to
31 > > > be) with the above ordering. You might want to think a bit more
32 > > > about what is the relation between this broken 10 chars example and
33 > > > the 10 lines python targets one below.
34 > > >
35 > > > You should also realize that all the above questions have already
36 > > > been answered in length if you do as I suggest.
37 > >
38 > > No. I have already spent too much time on this. We're already long
39 > > past all useful use cases, and now I feel like you're going to argue
40 > > to death just to find a perfect algorithm that supports every absurd
41 > > construct anyone can even write, if only to figure out the construct
42 > > is completely useless.
43 >
44 > I'm not going to argue to death. It's already proven reordering is
45 > broken.
46 >
47 > > If you want to play with it more, then please by all means do so.
48 >
49 > There is nothing to do for reordering. It's broken by design.
50 >
51 > > However, do not expect me to waste any more of my time on it. I've
52 > > done my part, the code works for all reasonable use cases and solves
53 > > all the problems I needed solving. If you want more, then it's your
54 > > job to do it and solve the resulting issues.
55 >
56 > Like... writing code handling all the cases and describing how it
57 > works ? We're past that. The only thing we're not past is that you fail
58 > to understand it and attempt to block it.
61 Then please provide a single valid example that:
62
63 a. is completely 'correct' (that is, provides a valid, predictable
64 and acceptable solution) with the default ordering O_a,
65
66 b. is not 'correct' with at least one reordering O_b (assuming only ||,
67 ^^, ?? is subject to reordering),
68
69 c. nsolve reports O_a as all good, and O_b as not good.
70
71 The best way to convince me is through valid examples.
74 Best regards,
75 Michał Górny