From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Defaulting desktop profiles to net-nds/openldap[minimal]
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2012 23:17:42
1 So Thomáš posted today [1] that the new LibreOffice 4 is going to _need_
2 an LDAP provider in the future because they are not going to keep it
3 optional as it is now. Right now, the only provider we have in portage
4 (as far as me and him can tell) is openldap (although mozldap also exists).
5
6 This made me cringe for a moment because I really don't want to have the
7 OpenLDAP server installed on my laptops, but then I realize that there
8 _is_ a minimal USE flag that only installs the library. But of course,
9 that's not the default.
10
11 Now one could probably argue that we should replace minimal with a
12 server USE flag enabled by default, that's a different story I guess. In
13 the mean time, I would suggest that, since the desktop profiles already
14 have USE=ldap enabled, we should default on the same profiles to
15
16 net-nds/openldap minimal
17
18 to make sure that the default desktop users don't get a copy of openldap
19 (server) installed.
20
21 To make this cleaner as well, I fixed the ebuild so that with
22 USE=minimal it doesn't install some of the paths that are used by the
23 server, or depend on packages that the client libs don't need.
24
25 So, should we change the profiles' defaults?
26
27 [1] http://goo.gl/DQ9kD
30 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
31 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/