From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 21:24:52
1 Jason Stubbs wrote: [Sat Nov 22 2003, 12:49:31PM EST]
2 > Okay, I've assumed that | is the only modifier, that it means OR and
3 > that AND takes precedence. Attached is a very simple patch to emerge.
4 > You'll probably notice straight away that I've never really worked
5 > with python before.
6
7 What do you mean by OR vs. AND when referring to package licenses? What
8 is the semantic difference between the following?
9
10 LICENSE="GPL-1 GPL-2"
11 LICENSE="GPL-1 | GPL-2"
12
13 This is actually a loaded question. I suspect there isn't a consistent
14 practice in the tree. The problem is that some packages are released
15 under more than one license, whereas some packages contain multiple
16 pieces of software, each of which is released under a different license.
17
18 Take the app-vim/colorschemes package, for example. It is a
19 conglomeration of all the colorschemes found on vim.sf.net, so it
20 contains software released under different licenses. Presently the
21 package has
22
23 LICENSE="vim | GPL-2 | public-domain"
24
25 If this is wrong, I take complete responsibility... It's what I told
26 Ciaran to use. But the question is: Does this fit your definition of
27 OR vs. AND, and do other packages in the tree use the same definition?
28
29 > BTW, at what time should I post this to bugzilla?
30
31 Pretty soon. I'd say just as soon as we figure out this part.
32
33 Aron
36 Aron Griffis
37 Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / ia64 / ruby / vim)
38 Key fingerprint = E3B6 8734 C2D6 B5E5 AE76 FB3A 26B1 C5E3 2010 4EB0