From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 is brokened :(
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 22:22:26
1 On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 10:53:13PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 17:47:36 -0400
3 > Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > Unfortunately Portage and Pkgcore have broken EAPI 2
6 > > > implementations.
7 > > <snip>
8 > >
9 > > Ciaran, I would think at this point you know this since you've seen
10 > > this brought up hundreds of times on this list. The mailing list is
11 > > not an appropriate place to file bug reports. The proper place would
12 > > be in http://bugs.gentoo.org for Portage and http://www.pkgcore.org
13 > > for pkgcore.
14 >
15 > Uh... The bugs have already been reported. This is supposed to be a
16 > discussion about how to handle the fallout -- what do you feel you
17
18 Interestingly enough, I don't see a bug filed in either of those
19 ticket systems. I see an irc msg that's vague on details from you
20 proceeding this email by an hour or so though.
21
22 Pkgcore EAPI2 support was released ~2 days ago; portage EAPI2 support
23 was released 09/26, ~12 days ago. So... not exactly a huge window.
24 In addition, all *3* versions supporting EAPI2 are all unstable;
25 meaning fairly rapid upgrade cycle by consumers of unstable, and
26 not exactly likely to have versions lingering long term in peoples
27 vdb.
28
29 So where exactly is this "sky is falling" issue you're worried about?
30 Bugs happen. I'd expect zac will fix whatever issue there is and
31 knock out a release w/in next day or so. I know pkgcore will be
32 fixed/released w/in next 12 (post work primarily).
33
34 Frankly you're overreacting on this- and that is assuming you *are*
35 overreacting instead of just going for a bit of a public smear
36 via bugs.
37
38 Either way, my vote is fix the bugs, leave EAPI2 as is, and in the
39 future kindly file bugs properly (preferably w/out the noise, but
40 I'll take usable bug reports in almost any form).
41
42 I'd assume zac's opinion will be the same, although he obviously
43 speaks for himself.
44 ~brian