From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Breaking changes in dev-libs/msgpack-5.0.0
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2023 15:57:48
1 On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 14:09 +0000, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Dear everyone,
3 >
4 > Having not been given any love for a long time, we have now got in the
5 > tree a version of dev-libs/msgpack newer than 3.3.0 - namely 5.0.0. Yes,
6 > we have managed to skip the entire major version 4 (yay?)! Anyway, the
7 > version in question introduces at least two breaking changes:
8 >
9 > - since 4.0.0, the (header-only) C++ library is no longer bundled with
10 > the C one. As a consequence, a new(ish) package dev-cpp/msgpack-cxx has
11 > been introduced and >=dev-libs/msgpack-5.0.0 no longer provide
12 > IUSE="boost cxx";
13 >
14 > - since 5.0.0 CMake modules for both the C and the C++ variant of
15 > msgpack have different names, which might break cmake-based revdeps
16 > which have not been updated accordingly.
17 >
18 > In light of the above, both dev-cpp/msgpack-cxx and
19 > >=dev-libs/msgpack-5.0.0 are currently masked in order to give the
20 > maintainers of msgpack devreps ample time to test compatibility with the
21 > new versions. They will, however, be unmasked on the 3rd of March unless
22 > major problems are encountered with the revdep update. There is a
23 > tracker bug "msgpack-5" which can be used to group related issues.
26 Given there's only a handful of revdeps, perhaps you could simply test
27 them?
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny