From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-im/pidgin protocols
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 22:08:32
1 Eric Polino wrote:
2 > Alright, well I appreciate all the thought and discussion that
3 > exploded about this problem. The pidgin team appreciates it. Though
4 > I'm sorry to say I'm not up to speed with all this Gentoo talk. I
5 > gather that when IUSE defaults come out, the ability to specify
6 > default USE flags on a per package basis will be available in the
7 > ebuild, but other than that I'm somewhat lost as to what was just
8 > talked about. Can someone break it down for a simple user/would like
9 > to be maintainer someday, so that I can have a better cleaner answer
10 > to bring back to the pidgin team.
11
12 I believe the short answer is:
13
14 - Yes, we /could/ do this now in the profile.
15 - Once IUSE defaults are allowed, we can then do it in a different
16 (perhaps better?) way.
17
18 The question remaining yet that I've seen no answer for yet:
19
20 Will we do it now in the profile?
21
22 Or will we instead just have a big notice in the ebuild that says "You
23 may be missing protocols because of your USE flags, please
24 check your USE flags and maybe re-emerge pidgin again if you forgot
25 some protocol you really wanted"
26
27 At least that's how I read this thread.
28
29 I'm all for doing it now in the profile, but it's not my package.
30 Perhaps someone from the net-im herd can make this decision?
33 Jim Ramsay
34 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)