From: Alastair Tse <liquidx@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] macos mess
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:53:09
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On 24 Jul 2004, at 20:34, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6
7 > Pieter Van den Abeele said:
8 >> The reasoning behind both:
9 >>
10 >> - app-macos contains apps that do not depend on anything but a regular
11 >> mac os x system. A good example of such an app is the GPL'ed OS X
12 >> Desktop Manager which implements virtual desktops on OS X.
13 >> http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/index.php Most of the time these
14 >> packages are Mac OS X only, open source and don't fit any other
15 >> category.
16 >
17 > I have a tough time believing there are any applications with functions
18 > written in languages that cannot be functionally or linguistically
19 > classified. The architecture/OS on which a program runs shouldn't be a
20 > basis for a category.
21
22 I would say that there will always be apps that don't fit into the
23 packaging system. Pieter raised one example where it is a window
24 manager (in some sense) but not X11, so it wouldn't fit in x11-wm or
25 any x11-* categories. I'm sure there will be others, and I'm not
26 particularly keen that we should put them in app-misc just because
27 that's the catchall. I think a app-macos is a good compromise in this
28 scenario.
29
30 But there are definitely many other macosx open source apps that would
31 fit under the Gentoo Portage structure, like colloquy would fit in
32 net-irc, adium would fit in net-im, class-dump would fit in dev-util,
33 etc.
36 >> - sys-darwin contains ebuilds for software that is very very darwin
37 >> (mostly kerneldriver) specific. I was thinking of things like (just a
38 >> quick cut/paste):
39 >
40 > Same point as above.
41
42 Do we have a sys-drivers or something equivalent? I would argue that
43 this is needed because the sheer amount of drivers available. We don't
44 want to start polluting sys-kernels with darwin drivers, do we?
45
46 HOWEVER, I agree that it is premature to setup a category where there
47 are no plans to even merge these drivers into portage for the next
48 month or so.
49
50 Cheers,
51 - --
52 Alastair 'liquidx' Tse
53 >> Gentoo Developer (Python/GNOME/CJK/PDA/Bluetooth)
54 >> http://www.liquidx.net/ | http://dev.gentoo.org/~liquidx/
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list