From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 13:43:39
1 On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Dnia 2013-09-26, o godz. 17:24:49
3 > Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o> napisał(a):
4 >
5 >> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >> >
7 >> > On 26 September 2013 19:53, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 >> >>
9 >> >> How do we handle packages which install multiple libraries? I'm afraid
10 >> >> forcing such a policy and/or hurrying developers to adapt will only
11 >> >> cause more of poppler-like issues to occur.
12 >> >
13 >> >
14 >> > Can you give a an example package which:
15 >> >
16 >> > - installs multiple libraries
17 >> > - has an ABI that may change for only one of those libraries
18 >> > - it is sane / plausible to expect one downstream dependent *not* to
19 >> > forcibly rebuild as a result of a chane in one of those libaries
20 >> > - it is sane / plausible to expect a different downstream to forcibly
21 >> > rebuild as a result of changes in one of those libraries
22 >> >
23 >>
24 >> dev-python/PyQt4
25 >>
26 >> Each module is a separate library, and each has its own ABI that can
27 >> change independently from the others. Downstream projects that rely
28 >> only on PyQt4's python API are not affected by ABI changes, but those
29 >> (very few) that link against one or more modules (e.g. kde-base/pykde4
30 >> I think) must be rebuilt.
31 >
32 > How often does ABI of pyqt4 libraries change in such a way that rebuild
33 > of pykde4 is not required?
34
35 Practically never (see below).
38 > Looking at the dep:
39 >
40 >>=dev-python/PyQt4-4.9.5[${PYTHON_USEDEP},dbus,declarative,script(+),sql,svg,webkit,X]
41 >
42 > I'd think it's fairly rare when only the libraries not listed above
43 > change ABI without any of the remaining ones changing it.
46 Actually, most PyQt4 libraries never changed their ABIs since the
47 initial 4.0 release, so yes, it's "fairly rare" :)
48 That's also one of the reasons why I never bothered to add a subslot to PyQt4.
49
50 Thanks,
51 Davide