From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pesa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:44:05
1 Dnia 2013-09-26, o godz. 17:24:49
2 Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > On 26 September 2013 19:53, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >> How do we handle packages which install multiple libraries? I'm afraid
9 > >> forcing such a policy and/or hurrying developers to adapt will only
10 > >> cause more of poppler-like issues to occur.
13 > > Can you give a an example package which:
14 > >
15 > > - installs multiple libraries
16 > > - has an ABI that may change for only one of those libraries
17 > > - it is sane / plausible to expect one downstream dependent *not* to
18 > > forcibly rebuild as a result of a chane in one of those libaries
19 > > - it is sane / plausible to expect a different downstream to forcibly
20 > > rebuild as a result of changes in one of those libraries
23 > dev-python/PyQt4
24 >
25 > Each module is a separate library, and each has its own ABI that can
26 > change independently from the others. Downstream projects that rely
27 > only on PyQt4's python API are not affected by ABI changes, but those
28 > (very few) that link against one or more modules (e.g. kde-base/pykde4
29 > I think) must be rebuilt.
30
31 How often does ABI of pyqt4 libraries change in such a way that rebuild
32 of pykde4 is not required?
33
34 Looking at the dep:
35
36 >=dev-python/PyQt4-4.9.5[${PYTHON_USEDEP},dbus,declarative,script(+),sql,svg,webkit,X]
37
38 I'd think it's fairly rare when only the libraries not listed above
39 change ABI without any of the remaining ones changing it.
42 Best regards,
43 Michał Górny