From: Davide Pesavento <pesa@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:24:54
1 On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 26 September 2013 19:53, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> How do we handle packages which install multiple libraries? I'm afraid
6 >> forcing such a policy and/or hurrying developers to adapt will only
7 >> cause more of poppler-like issues to occur.
10 > Can you give a an example package which:
11 >
12 > - installs multiple libraries
13 > - has an ABI that may change for only one of those libraries
14 > - it is sane / plausible to expect one downstream dependent *not* to
15 > forcibly rebuild as a result of a chane in one of those libaries
16 > - it is sane / plausible to expect a different downstream to forcibly
17 > rebuild as a result of changes in one of those libraries
20 dev-python/PyQt4
21
22 Each module is a separate library, and each has its own ABI that can
23 change independently from the others. Downstream projects that rely
24 only on PyQt4's python API are not affected by ABI changes, but those
25 (very few) that link against one or more modules (e.g. kde-base/pykde4
26 I think) must be rebuilt.