From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] How do we handle stabilisations of not-exactly-maintained packages
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:11:04
1 On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Talking about...  Just today I was reading that the firefox folks are
3 > debating shortening the current 6-week cycle to 5-weeks or less.
4
5 Upstream issues are a whole different kettle of fish, but obviously
6 still cause problems. Online game clients tend not to become stable
7 now simply because they can suddenly stop working when the server
8 software is upgraded, requiring a rapid upgrade to the client.
9
10 Maybe we need to rethink the definition of "stable" in these
11 situations. I think it still doesn't hurt to have some kind of QA
12 cycle internally for something like firefox. Plus at least with
13 firefox the old versions don't suddenly stop working/etc, assuming
14 they still get upstream security notices.
15
16 Rich