From: rob holland <robh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 09:46:20
--On Friday, May 16, 2003 10:35:26 +0000 Chris Bainbridge
<C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk> wrote:

>> only one file to diff, which in my mind should be more >> efficient. no more waiting for the 40000 file list to >> arrive.
Seeing as no-one else has piped up yet... :) The main problem with using a loopback fs is that we'd then need to require kernel support for it. The main problem with using a tar file and rsyncing that is that we have to tar/untar the whole portage tree each time. That takes a while (and quite a lot of space) :/ -- robh@g.o / robh:irc.freenode.net