From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should mirror restriction imply bindist restriction?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:57:44
1 On Friday 26 April 2013 15:23:42 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > >> Currently RESTRICT=mirror and RESTRICT=bindist are independent of
4 > >> each other. I wonder if the former should imply the latter.
5 > >>
6 > >> Is there any package where the files in SRC_URI cannot be mirrored
7 > >> (i.e., redistributed), but where the built package can be
8 > >> distributed?
9 > >
10 > > i've used RESTRICT=mirror in the past when the files were really
11 > > large (like games or toolchain source tarballs) and upstream already
12 > > had a good mirroring system. in both cases, there was no binary
13 > > redistribution restrictions.
14 > >
15 > > so my answer would be no: we have two independent knobs and let's
16 > > keep them that way.
17 >
18 > Right. And as was pointed to me on IRC, another legitimate case for
19 > mirror restriction are packages in overlays whose distfiles are not on
20 > mirrors. Then it obviously makes no sense to check mirrors for it.
21
22 ah, yeah, we do this a lot in ChromiumOS
23 -mike