From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kumba@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 09:09:53
On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 04:57:10 -0400
Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:

> On 09/19/2011 04:33, Michał Górny wrote: > > > > > Does the patch involve moving even more stuff to rootfs? If I'm > > going to see /share directory or even more /usr/share files > > in /lib, then I'm probably going to fork something too. > > > Per our original discussion, isn't the only file udev is looking for > pci.ids? If so, I honestly see no reason why that cannot exist > in /etc. It fits in perfectly with other files > like /etc/DIR_COLORS. If udev hardcodes the path too /usr/share, > that's an easy patch then.
Could we stop putting random stuff in random dirs because 'it will work'? /etc is _SYSCONFDIR_. I don't see how PCI IDs are config at all.
> And that's just one option. We can maintain a minimal pci.ids > consisting only of disk drivers if need be in /etc, or find some > other clever solution. We've got enough people here; someone oughta > be able to figure something out.
As I see it, the simplest solution would be to lay out the minimal initramfs contents to rootfs and make it mount /usr and stuff before starting actual rc. This should cut all the complaints and possibly let us move some stuff back to /usr where it belongs. -- Best regards, Michał Górny