From: "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:06:11
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen pisze:
2 > On Wednesday 16 April 2008 09:56:04 Mateusz A. Mierzwiński wrote:
3 >
4 >> My Prof from US used to say - if something is working good why we should
5 >> replace it? When we do that we can be "sent to the tree with bananas
6 >> straighting proposition" by OS.
9 > I think it has been made quite clear in this thread that the current solution
10 > isn't "working good". Look at the cases where people mistakenly uninstalled
11 > coreutils instead of mktemp. Not to mention the fact that uninstalling mktemp
12 > before upgrading coreutils is indeed the wrong solution.
15 So why not to send on screen info about what to do rather then "ERROR"?
16 This will only make problem with question "What to install to get
17 working gentoo?". Maybe emerge should be updated by something like INFO
18 about error? Like that - If emerge found TXT/HTML/MAN file in package
19 directory in portage it should display it when error occurred. This
20 makes more easy to get some help without package granulation changes.
21
22 like:
23
24 TREE:
25 /usr/portage/net-misc/asterisk-chan_unicall
26 +- asterisk-chan_unicall-0.0.3_pre9.ebuild
27 +- ChangeLog
28 +- Manifest
29 +- metadata.xml
30 +- errorhelp-info.bz2
31
32 Where errorhelp-info.bz2 is manpage with errors information and repair
33 infos.
34
35 I think this is good idea.
36 --