From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] 1/2 OT: Comprehensive Source Database
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:06:44
1 On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 17:57 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2
3 > I'm currently working on infrastructure for an comprehensive and
4 > detailed source database.
5 >
6 > It is not an replacement for freshmeat (which is good software
7 > index for human users), but an strictly defined database of package
8 > releases and assigned download URLs along with several meta-data
9
10 It may or may not be what you want, but what you've described sounds
11 very close to what Mark Shuttleworth articulated as the vision behind
12 launchpad.
13 https://launchpad.net/
14
15 I'm not sure if any other distros besides Ubuntu are using it yet, but
16 certainly things will improve geometrically as they start to.
17
18 You may want to investigate using it and/or offering to plug the
19 functionality you want into it.
20
21 AfC
22 Sydney
25 Andrew Frederick Cowie
26 Managing Director
27 Operational Dynamics Consulting Pty Ltd
28
29 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
30 Management Consultants specializing in strategy,
31 organizational architecture, procedures to survive
32 change, and performance hardening for the people
33 and systems behind the mission critical enterprise.
34
35 Worldwide:
36
37 Sydney +61 2 9977 6866