From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stricter --newuse settings
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:40:31
1 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted 456DB725.9040402@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:36:53 -0500:
3
4 > Vlastimil Babka wrote:
5 >>
6 >> Duncan wrote:
7 >>> whatever USE flag removal forcing --newuser rebuild, when I as a
8 >>> /human/ know it's not needed.
9 >>
10 >> If you're sure you know it's not needed, just edit
11 >> /var/db/pkg/$cat/$pkg/{USE,IUSE} to reflect that (i.e. if there was
12 >> arts flag removed and you know the ebuild didn't actually need/use it,
13 >> remove it from IUSE, and possibly USE) and --newuse won't trigger no
14 >> more. It's a bit of hack, but works, for user it's the same amount of
15 >> work as editing some newuse.mask file, for portage developers it's no
16 >> work :)
17 >>
18 > oi, don't recommend people edit the vdb *cringes*
19
20 LOL. Such a hack didn't occur to me, probably for just that reason (tho
21 like many hacks, it might prove useful at times, for personal use
22 only with an appropriate pre-hack backup of course). It occurs to me that
23 portage devs may prefer the bit of work to "no work", but having to deal
24 with the consequential bug biteback should this recommendation enter
25 common usage.
30 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list