From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stricter --newuse settings
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 03:11:02
1 On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 19:34:57 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> posted 456DB725.9040402@g.o,
5 > excerpted below, on Wed, 29 Nov 2006 11:36:53 -0500:
6 >
7 > > Vlastimil Babka wrote:
8 > >>
9 > >> Duncan wrote:
10 > >>> whatever USE flag removal forcing --newuser rebuild, when I as a
11 > >>> /human/ know it's not needed.
12 > >>
13 > >> If you're sure you know it's not needed, just edit
14 > >> /var/db/pkg/$cat/$pkg/{USE,IUSE} to reflect that (i.e. if there was
15 > >> arts flag removed and you know the ebuild didn't actually need/use it,
16 > >> remove it from IUSE, and possibly USE) and --newuse won't trigger no
17 > >> more. It's a bit of hack, but works, for user it's the same amount of
18 > >> work as editing some newuse.mask file, for portage developers it's no
19 > >> work :)
20 > >>
21 > > oi, don't recommend people edit the vdb *cringes*
22 >
23 > LOL. Such a hack didn't occur to me, probably for just that reason (tho
24 > like many hacks, it might prove useful at times, for personal use
25 > only with an appropriate pre-hack backup of course). It occurs to me that
26 > portage devs may prefer the bit of work to "no work", but having to deal
27 > with the consequential bug biteback should this recommendation enter
28 > common usage.
29
30 Well, I definitely prefer people doing it manually than adding an emerge option to do exactly that (as was already suggested a while ago), that leaves at least the hope that they know what they're doing. But I guess making --newuse somewhat configurable wouldn't hurt (too many people annoyed with it recently).
31
32 Marius
33 --
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list