From: Nick Vinson <nvinson234@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing toe stepping
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2016 12:15:49
1 On 11/03/2016 03:16 AM, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
2 > Hey guys,
3 >
4 > Every other day on IRC, I see people arguing about touching each
5 > others packages, despite our policies against it. (Sometimes it's even
6 > me who's doing the touching!) My instinctive reaction is always,
7 > "can't everybody calm down and be happy somebody is doing your work
8 > for you?" The answer to this question is, of course, that it depends
9 > who the developer is and how competent you are.
10 >
11 > So, nothing new here. I don't want to bikeshed about it. Business as usual.
12 >
13 > Perhaps we can come up with something more formal for solving this,
14 > that works a bit better than my package-policy.txt idea (see other
15 > thread).
16 >
17 > A few have proposed in the past adding this kind of "attitude
18 > information" to metadata.xml. Does anybody have any concrete proposals
19 > for what this would look like?
20
21 I must have missed the latest IRC conversation on this. Was the issue
22 really about someone else doing the work or was it about someone
23 committing changes without informing the actual maintainer(s) first?
24
25 If it's the first, there's no issue and nothing needs to be done in my
26 opinion (well maybe the maintainer(s) should take note and solve the
27 issue(s) faster next time). If it's the latter, then I think a much
28 easier solution would be to file a PR, write a bug, or send an email
29 before committing the change. None of those options are particularly
30 difficult to do and it keeps the maintainer in the loop.
31
32 Just doing that one little thing would have prevented or shutdown the
33 arguments I have seen.
34
35 Thanks,
36 Nicholas Vinson