From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multiple dependencies with installing packages from the CD
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:11:04
1 On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 08:06:45PM -0000, Sean Cull wrote:
2
3 > Regarding the recursive package merge, couldn't one just modify the ebuild
4 > script mentioned in your bash tutorial on IBM Developerworks and add some
5 > lines in to check the dependencies, then if it needs, say, Gnomelibs-1.0.4
6 > (or whatever the current version is), it searches the "All" directory for
7 > the appropriate package and installs it before returning to the original
8 > package you wanted to install. I guess this is how the FreeBSD ports system
9 > works. Or would something like that need to be written in something other
10 > than a scripting language?
11 > If I'm totally wrong on this, sorry... I'm still learning =)
12
13 We can't just use the "All" directory because we have some packages with
14 identical names, but in different categories. For example, there's
15 sys-build/gcc and sys-devel/gcc. The only way to deal with this is to actually
16 look inside the package at the packaging information, and this is a very slow
17 process with our current package format. Once we add an (mostly
18 backwards-compatible) enhancement to our current format, finding out this
19 information will be very fast and will allow the Portage system to "find out"
20 the actual category of a random .tbz2 file rather than relying on "contextual"
21 (i.e. what directory it's in) information in order to figure out the category.
22
23 Best Regards,
26 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
27 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org