From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 05:12:05
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:32:30AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> Brian Harring wrote: > > The proposal is pretty simple; if code modifies the vdb in any > > fashion, it needs to update the mtime on a file named > > '.modification_time' in the root of the vdb. > > I'd to prefer using the mtime of the /var/db/pkg directory itself, > since existence of a '.modification_time' file isn't going to prove > that an programs that don't recognize that file haven't made any > modifications.
Grumble. Works for me.
> We can also use the mtimes of category subdirectories, in order to > indicate whether a modification has occurred in any given category.
Pkgcore already relies on that for old style virtuals cache. The pisser there is that modifications w/in a node don't result in a category level mtime- it certainly would be nice to have it formalized in some fashion so that cache regeneration could just work on the areas it needs to. ~brian