From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:06:53
1 On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:03:12 +0000
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:26:27 +0100
5 > Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
6 > > Marius Mauch wrote:
7 > > > Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has
8 > > > to export to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics
9 > > > of exported and expected functions and variables (IOW the content
10 > > > of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not contain naming and versioning
11 > > > rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).
12 > >
13 > > This restricted definition is ok for everybody?
14 >
15 > The restricted definition is certainly OK, but I'm not convinced that
16 > the restriction is necessary. There's no particular reason that new
17 > version formats can't be introduced in a new EAPI so long as the
18 > version strings don't appear in ebuilds using older EAPIs or in
19 > profiles.
20
21 The issue is with comparison rules. For the current use case that's not
22 an issue as it's simply a superset, so we could just use the new rules
23 for everything. But if the rules are changed in an incompatible way,
24 which rules would be used to compare version(EAPI_X) with version(EAPI_Y)?
25
26 > Ditto for naming rules.
27
28 Those are even more of an issue, as they apply before we know the
29 eventual EAPI (need to access the category/package directory before you
30 can parse the ebuild filename)
31
32 Marius
33 --