From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: EAPI definition Was: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:06:14
1 On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:26:27 +0100
2 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o> wrote:
3 > Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > Nope. EAPI (from my POV) defines the API that a package manager has
5 > > to export to an ebuild/eclass. That includes syntax and semantics
6 > > of exported and expected functions and variables (IOW the content
7 > > of ebuilds/eclasses), but does not contain naming and versioning
8 > > rules (as those impact cross-package relationships).
9 >
10 > This restricted definition is ok for everybody?
11
12 The restricted definition is certainly OK, but I'm not convinced that
13 the restriction is necessary. There's no particular reason that new
14 version formats can't be introduced in a new EAPI so long as the
15 version strings don't appear in ebuilds using older EAPIs or in
16 profiles. Ditto for naming rules.
19 Ciaran McCreesh