From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] MULTI_ABI support addition to main tree portage
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 18:31:33
1 El sáb, 29-01-2011 a las 13:10 -0500, Nathan Phillip Brink escribió:
2 > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 06:03:10PM +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hello
5 > >
6 > > I would like to know what is "blocking" this from landing main tree in
7 > > the "near" future, as I reviewed:
8 > >
9 > > http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@l.g.o/msg41737.html
10 > >
11 > > and looks like there wasn't major problems (at least commented in this
12 > > thread)
13 >
14 > There are still a number of known build failures, tracked in
15 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/alias/portage-multilib . There are probably
16 > many more portage-multilib-related build failures which haven't been
17 > encountered yet nor reported. Also, even these reported bugs are not
18 > necessarily fixed first because they only affect us the minority ;-).
19
20 OK, thanks. Maybe bug 306835 should block bug 145737 instead of
21 depending on it, not?
24 > Most everything is easy to debug and as simple as replacing calls to
25 > $(LD) in poorly-written Makefileswith with calls to $(CC), fixing
26 > packages which ignore CFLAGS (where we store our -m32) or LDFLAGS
27 > (where we now also store -m32 since one's not allowed to require
28 > buildsystems to call $(CC) with $(CFLAGS) when objects are being
29 > linked into an executable or library).
30 >
31 > However, packages which use qmake or cmake macros installed by KDE are
32 > more difficult to debug and there are other funny issues such as
33 > CFLAGS being stored by a library's buildsystem and stored into
34 > /usr/share instead of an ABI-dependent directory, breaking packages
35 > which use that library... ;-)
36 >
37 > Also, there are still some decisions/changes to portage-multilib which
38 > might be made The most recent idea discussed was: should ${ARCH}
39 > useflags (like SRC_URI="x86? ( http://host/my-binari-x86.tar.bz2 )")
40 > be replaced with ${ABI} useflags or should we rewrite a bunch of
41 > ebuilds in the tree to be multilib-aware? For example:
42 >
43 > Say we have
44 > ABI=x86
45 > ARCH=amd64
46 >
47 > Does ``use x86'' return true or do we need to use ``use multilib_abi_x86''?
48 > Do detect the true arch, do we need ``use arch_amd64'' or does ``use amd64'' still return true?
51 Where do you discuss things like this? IRC channel? Mailing-list?
52 Thanks :-)