From: Fredrik Jagenheim <humming@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avifile ebuild requires divx4linux and win32codecs on x86
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:21:26
On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:56:57AM +0200, Jon Lech Johansen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 10:38:20AM +0200, Fredrik Jagenheim (humming@×××××.com) wrote: > > Which, in a twist of irony, makes /him/ guilty of copyright > > infringement. > > Heard about fair use?
Yeah, I know. Making a commentary on copyrighted works falls under the fair use clause. I should've added a smiley on that. OTOH, to get back to the real point; If you are giving away your copyrighted works for free, for the intent purpose of all users to freely use your program, without shipping a license, or even a note, on how this program may be distributed, I think you've made it pretty clear that, unless you tell the offending parties otherwise, you have no problems with it being redistributed. It would be a totally different thing if gentoo earned money on the codecs (which the distribution doesn't), if there was a notice on how redistribution is restricted (like all papers do) or if there was some legal blurb that had to be clicked through (like the sun-jdk). Now there is nothing of this, and as you have already sent mails to the legal departments of apple and microsoft and made them aware of this potential problem, I think we should just sit down and wait for their reaction. //H -- To segfault is human; to bluescreen moronic. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list