From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add systemd/merged-usr profiles
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 20:43:48
1 > On 31 Aug 2022, at 21:36, Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On 2022/08/31 19:38, Mike Gilbert wrote:
6 >> On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za> wrote:
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> That really depends.
10 >>>
11 >>> If the expectation is that everything in /usr/{bin,sbin,lib*} needs to now fit on / rather than /usr we're queued to re-install a very, very large number of hosts.
12 >> You have that reversed: the expectation is that everything in
13 >> /{bin,sbin,lib} will fit in /usr. In other words, we move files from /
14 >> into /usr.
15 >
16 > That's a relieve, but as per Sam this is only relevant to systemd
17 > profiles, which for some reason I also completely overlooked as per the
18 > subject. However, these things do have a tendency to filter through to
19 > non-systemd systems eventually.
20
21 FWIW, our support (as you've sort of noticed before) for split-usr
22 (Which is related, but distinct, from non-merged -usr) is sort of tenuous
23 and while it's your right to do such installs, I'd consider at least
24 not installing new machines with such a configuration
25 as a way of very gradually phasing it out.
26
27 It's often a pain to handle properly. For example,
28 It's seemingly not possible to (easily, at least, and
29 portably) handle split-usr (separate /usr, as in
30 separate partition) in app-arch/zstd with pkg-config,
31 as pkg-config shouldn't point to the loader script,
32 but the real library [0].
33
34 As you can imagine, these complications together
35 with other, more pressing bugs, means it is at least
36 not very high on my list to look into such issues,
37 even though I do try when such bugs are within
38 my purview.
39
40 [0] https://github.com/trofi/nix-guix-gentoo/commit/8f194519982fbfabb6b3ca84c0806b1a379b5d06
41