From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 12:33:59
1 On 2007.07.21 10:47, Peter Weller wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4 >
5 > Yes, I will accept.
6 >
7 > My main plans over the next few years would be to improve
8 > communications (and (more importantly?) openness), not just between
9 > developers, but also between herds, users, the Council, the Trustees,
10 > upstream and so on. I'd particularly want to ensure that there is
11 > better
12 > communication between us (Gentoo) and projects such as Sabayon Linux
13 > and Ainkaboot, as I believe that we can all make use of each other's
14 > skills and ideas to provide better distribution(s). I'd encourage
15 > "innovative" ideas and projects, such as the inclusion of, for
16 > example,
17 > XGL/Compiz/Beryl/Compiz-Fusion or whatever it's called these days.
18 > I'd
19 > also encourage the introduction of targets, as discussed by antarus
20 > on
21 > the -core ML. And all that kinda stuff.
22 >
23 > Now, I'm sure that a number of you would prefer everything to be
24 > closed, kept private within a number of individuals, but if that *is*
25 > the case, why on Earth are you involved with an *Open* Source
26 > project,
27 > such as Gentoo? Wouldn't you be better off using the likes of Adobe's
28 > products and Microsoft's products?
29 >
30 > Yes, I am quite young. Yes, I could be considered relatively new to
31 > the
32 > project. Yes, I might make mistakes, but I also *learn* from
33 > mistakes,
34 > which some people seem to find hard. Being young/relatively new to
35 > the
36 > project will allow me to potentially bring a fresh view on things,
37 > that
38 > some of you old fuddy-duddies may or may not have thought of before.
39 > And isn't that what Gentoo is about? New ideas, innovation, fresh
40 > views, etc, etc. Anyway. Meh. I'm starting to waffle on.
41 >
42 > And I'm moving house at the beginning of August, I'm also going to
43 > France sometime in August. Just some advanced warnings that I may not
44 > be around so much during the voting period.
45 >
46 > Bai!
49 Peter,
50
51 That's the beginnings of a good election manifesto. All the candidates
52 need to explain, if they are elected :-
53
54 1. What they will do
55 2. Why they will do it
56 3. How they will do it
57 4. Timescales for their plans.
58
59 This information will allow the electorate to choose a team with
60 similar aims, so we get a cohesive council, not a collection of
61 individuals trying to take Gentoo in different directions.
62
63 Any candidate unwilling to prepare such a manifesto should withdraw now
64 as they clearly don't have the time or interest to take an active seat
65 on the council.
66
67 Like it or not, the council is more of a social/political body than a
68 development body.
69
70 Regards,
71