From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Wikis
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 10:32:49
1 On Aug 19, 2004, at 10:57 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Wednesday 18 August 2004 23:43, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I support _a_ WiKi as _a_ development platform for _unpublished_
6 >> documentation...
7 >
8 > And of course -- as can be witnessed on gentoo-wiki.com (not an
9 > official
10 > site) -- there are many cases where people believe something to be true
11 > when it is actually incorrect, or incorrect in borderline cases...
12
13 But the great thing about a wiki is that you're able to correct it.
14
15 It does not take long to add only "THIS IS INCORRECT - see
16 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/12345", and it is a
17 pointer in the right direction.
18
19 I do not find the format of the forums terribly usable, but they're
20 very popular with a large segment of the Gentoo community. A wiki would
21 surely be a better format for user-contributed docs than the current
22 state, in which several pages of "this worked for me, too" and "has
23 anyone tried this with the ALL0271?" are interspersed with the
24 occasional useful nugget of information, correction & update. That is a
25 lot to wade through to get to the facts.
26
27 If a Gentoo wiki were to be accepted as an official project, then its
28 documents could be published on a "Gentoo accepts no liability" basis.
29 Should any wiki documents be founds meritsome enough & a -dev be found
30 to maintain them then they could then be accepted as official & static
31 documents. I would have thought this would be a potentially fantastic
32 recruitment ground for -docs.
33
34 Stroller.
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list