From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bug voting
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:27:08
1 On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 13:54, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > > I think the point (once you learn to decode ciaranm's acidic comments)
3 > > is that this voting may result in a group of overly zealous users
4 > > skewing things away from realistic priorities. We might see a bug about
5 > > reiser4 support in g-d-s get pumped up to the top of the list, where a
6 > > bug about fixing a major but subtle flaw in base-layout might not get
7 > > any attention. (just an example (one that ciaranm will i'm sure enjoy))
8 > >
9 > > None the less, i think enabling it warrants consideration.
10 >
11 > And since those votes are completely non-binding.. we are completely
12 > free to ignore them if we believe they are wrong. It might still give
13 > many devs who dont spend their time in #gentoo or the forums a more
14 > direct idea of what users really care about.
15
16 I tend to agree. As long as there is no policy *forcing* us to follow
17 the results of the voting, I see no harm in it. After all, it will be
18 easy enough for me to ignore the "add love-sources as default on the
19 livecd" votes... *grin*
20
21 What we will see is voting on lots of feature enhancements, which is
22 good, as it will give us a clue on what our users want from us. What we
23 won't see is much voting on bugs that are actual bugs. At least, not on
24 the ones we can actually fix. When I spend time working on Gentoo, any
25 enhancements *always* take back seat to actual bugs, and always will no
26 matter how high they get "voted" simply because we should solve the
27 problems with things we're already supporting, before adding more
28 potential problems to the mix.
31 Chris Gianelloni
32 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
33 Gentoo Linux
34
35 Is your power animal a penguin?