From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Don't use UIDs and GIDs below 100 without QA approval
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:06:49
1 >>>>> On Sun, 28 Nov 2021, William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 09:36:32AM +0300, Eray Aslan wrote:
4 >> 1/ Static allocation does not really solve a problem. Not really not
5 >> nowadays
6 >> 2/ We cant keep adding new IDs to a distribution as new software gets
7 >> added - one side is unbounded. This is losing game.
8
9 Not sure. In practice, the number of packages is limited. (And if the
10 argument was valid, it would apply to dynamic alloction too.)
11
12 >> Switching back to dynamic allocation seems to be the best option.
13
14 > I realize I'm very late to this party, but +1 from me also.
15
16 > We should use dynamic uid/git assignment by default and maybe provide
17 > a way to force certain uids/gids to be constant if users want this.
18
19 While the rationale for static allocation that made it into GLEP 81 [1]
20 is rather weak, several people had argued in favour of it on the mailing
21 list [2].
22
23 In any case, let's cross that bridge when we reach it. For now, we're
24 good with 250 additional IDs.
25
26 Ulrich
27