From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New virtual: virtual/jack for jack protocol implementations
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 10:51:42
1 On 04/02/16 15:05, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > We've been supporting jack sound server [1] for a long time.
5 > Currently, we're supporting jack1 as
6 > media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit. However, jack2 has been out for
7 > quite some time.
8 >
9 > As its name does not imply, jack2 is not really the successor of jack1
10 > but rather another implementation of the same protocol [2]. As such, I
11 > don't think it is wise to add jack2 as an update to jack1 in
12 > media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit but rather to add a new package
13 > (media-sound/jack2) along with a virtual that packages can depend onto.
14 >
15 > Proposed ebuild for the virtual is here:
16 > https://github.com/suhr/gentoo/commit/1aebd8e72ff4ff2665761fc3b07f796945aa0943
17 >
18 > Best regards,
19 >