From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 15:17:13
1 On Friday, January 21, 2011 02:53:57 Dale wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, January 20, 2011 14:47:24 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
4 > >> Also "angry unhelpful tools"? You're putting words in my mail that
5 > >> aren't there. I said infra _used_ to be against that; it was obvious
6 > >> that knowing that I wouldn't just push the issue against their will.
7 > >
8 > > no, you didnt. you said "the Infra team has been against this idea".
9 > > you didnt say anywhere that infra had changed their mind, and this
10 > > statement made it sound like basically "screw infra, this is what QA
11 > > says, and if infra doesnt like it they can figure something out on their
12 > > own".
13 >
14 > Actually, yea he did. In your quote of him, he said "has been'. Maybe
15 > you misread it but that means they had a different view or opinion in
16 > the past but that has changed.
17
18 no, not really. "has been" is the present perfect continuous tense which
19 means he is describing something that has continued up to or through $now.
20 without explicitly stating that infra has changed their minds, my assessment
21 above stands.
22
23 yes, this is a nuance that might be hard for non-native (and probably many
24 native) english speakers to pick up, but that's why it's even more important
25 for people to provide more supplementary details so that they arent
26 misconstrued.
27 -mike