From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do not modify ebuilds which are already in the tree... even if masked
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:15:09
1 On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:07:11 +0200
2 cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > I think it is worth to discuss about `Do not modify ebuilds which
7 > are already in the tree... even if masked.`
8 >
9 > Sometimes ebuilds which are already in the portage tree are modified
10 > without changing the
11 > version-number, i.e. ebuild-r1 is in the portage tree and the ebuild-
12 > r1 gets changed,
13 > i.e. useflag or other issues without changing the version number to
14 > ebuild-r2. This causes
15 > confusion i.e. in bug-reports.
16 >
17 > My opinion is not to change any ebuild which is in the portage tree,
18 > even if the ebuild is masked.
19 > I think the better way is to add an ebuild with an updated version
20 > number, even if the ebuild is still
21 > masked.
22 >
23 > I also recommend to manage hard-masked packages the same way, it
24 > prevents confusion in
25 > bug-reports.
26 >
27 > What do you think?
28
29 Not realistic. Think about it:
30 - upstream location for a package changes, so old SRC_URI stops
31 working. If we don't update the existing ebuild people can't use it
32 anymore, if we bump it to a new revision existing users "have to"
33 perform a pointless update.
34 - a mistake in the ebuild prevents installation for 10% of the users,
35 but doesn't affect runtime behavior. SHould we bump it just for that
36 and "force" the other 90% of the users to perform a pointless update?
37 - also due to eclasses this is practically impossible, if an eclass is
38 changed all ebuilds inheriting it are implicitly changed as well,
39 you can't really restrict that to revbumps.
40
41 Marius
46 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
47 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.