From: cilly <cilly@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Do not modify ebuilds which are already in the tree... even if masked
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:12:27
1 Hi all,
2
3 I think it is worth to discuss about `Do not modify ebuilds which are
4 already in the tree... even if masked.`
5
6 Sometimes ebuilds which are already in the portage tree are modified
7 without changing the
8 version-number, i.e. ebuild-r1 is in the portage tree and the ebuild-
9 r1 gets changed,
10 i.e. useflag or other issues without changing the version number to
11 ebuild-r2. This causes
12 confusion i.e. in bug-reports.
13
14 My opinion is not to change any ebuild which is in the portage tree,
15 even if the ebuild is masked.
16 I think the better way is to add an ebuild with an updated version
17 number, even if the ebuild is still
18 masked.
19
20 I also recommend to manage hard-masked packages the same way, it
21 prevents confusion in
22 bug-reports.
23
24 What do you think?