From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 48 update (as nominated for next meeting)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 05:05:52
1 On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:42:19 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > 1. It makes sense that in the event that a "Rogue" developer is
5 > wreaking havoc on the tree that QA can get infra to suspend their
6 > commit rights. That's safeguarding the tree in the face of imminent
7 > harm. This should generally be limited to serious issues (people
8 > running scripts to mass-update packages, bad changes to system
9 > packages, etc), and not because there is some dispute over whether
10 > some obscure package should or should-not be masked.
11
12 No, it makes no sense at all. /Anyone/ can ask infra to do that, users
13 as well as developers, and infra will then probably want to see some
14 details of commits or other evidence to support the suspension.
15
16 You simply file a bug report, make sure devrel and infra know about it,
17 and just make a lot of noise until stuff gets fixed - if it's all that
18 bad. We've never needed QA to do it for us before, have we?
19
20 > 2. I don't think it makes sense for QA to discipline developers
21 > permanently in these cases. They should suspend access pending Devrel
22 > resolution of the issue. Devrel should of course strongly consider
23 > the input of QA.
24
25 That should be anyone's input, really. If a Gentoo Linux user finds a
26 nasty `rm -rf /' timebomb, I suppose he could point that out to infra
27 directly. And it's infra that suspends access, by the way. And devrel
28 should be the intermediate between developers. And QA "aims to keep the
29 portage tree in a consistent state"[1]. Wait, everyone is already in
30 place?
31
32 What makes QA so special? If we grant them this new power, then that is
33 what makes them special, I guess.
36 jer
39 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/