From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:12:33
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 17:22, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
> As for "fixing this", see the oft-linked webpage as to why it can't be > fixed easily, if at all, and honestly, I don't think it needs to be > fixed.
What's wrong with: * having an "early mounts" list file * having an "early modules" list file * init system in early boot (e.g., OpenRC in init.sh) loading "early modules" and mounting "early mounts" from /etc/fstab This will solve the issue with most non-complex (i.e., no raid or encryption) initramfs-less setups, without requiring that users migrate to initramfs (e.g., after dealing with genkernel-generated scripts for a long time, I wouldn't touch it with a pointed stick anymore). The relevant files can be also generated automatically during an upgrade (empty "early modules" and empty or /usr-only "early mounts", depending on /etc/fstab contents). -- Maxim Kammerer Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)