From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: communication policies (was [gentoo-server] backups/mirroring with rsync)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:06:40
1 On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 00:07 -0800, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > I believe you missed the point of my message (intentionally); if the forums
3 > and development mailing lists are open to non-developers and are suitably
4 > moderated for inappropriate posts, it doesn't seem entirely sensible (or
5 > logical) to me that the development chat room is publically muted.
6
7 Have you ever been in #gentoo?
8
9 I'm not sure how you would expect us to hold any form of relevant
10 conversations about development issues in #gentoo-dev if it were opened
11 up to public access. All it would do is get half the devs that do hang
12 out in there to hide away in some secret channel that is moderated so
13 discussion could take place without the 10,000,000 help-related
14 questions that would be inevitably posted about CFLAGS and other such
15 things.
16
17 Allow me to take #gentoo-releng as an example. During non-release
18 times, the channel is not moderated and anyone can participate in the
19 discussions. As release time grows near, we make the channel moderated
20 so that only members of releng may speak in there. This really helps
21 when we are in a high stress situation such as a release.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
26 Games - Developer
27 Gentoo Linux