From: Jason Wever <weeve@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:38:38
1 On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:19:04 +0000
2 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > My $0.02 is that if this gets implemented, it should be put in so that
5 > > the default behavior is like portage is now,
6 > Since Portage as it is right now doesn't pay any attention to licenses,
7 > its legality could be questioned (as with the games issue before?)
8
9 Then if we have vendors who say "you absolutely must interactively accept
10 our license agreement before using" or something similar, then we'd have
11 no choice but to limit those licenses in this feature.
12
13 And then there's the argument about whether this should be done for all
14 licenses, but I don't want to start up a subthread.
15
16 > > and if you choose to restrict
17 > > yourself to only free software or other licensing scheme, you can make
18 > > the necessary changes yourself. Otherwise you will have a ton of
19 > > users asking "why can't i emerge package foo?", or filing bugs because
20 > > of this, etc.
21 > If Portage displays a clear enough message, there shouldn't be a problem
22 > with this...
23
24 Perhaps, if it's not prone to get lost in the shuffle like einfo's can.
25 However, now I don't have to go through and set my make.conf to say
26 "let me use everything", or "let me use just software of license foo".
27 Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I'd rather not have to set extra
28 options that I don't currently have to, unless it's a situation like the
29 case above"
32 > >From a support perspective, if this gets implemented, I'm forwarding
33 > >all
34 > > of these questions, bugs, etc to the "free and only free" software
35 > > folks. Please dont' take away one "freedom" for another.
36 > As long as there is an option (editing the ACCEPT_LICENSES), there is no
37 >
38 > freedom being removed.
39
40 So I guess it's a matter of opt in (only free licenses by default) vs out
41 out (every license by default) depending on your perspective. I'd like to
42 suggest that something like a forum poll be used to gauge which is the
43 majority opinion, and go with that (if legality issues don't overrule
44 this).
47 Jason Wever
48 Gentoo/Sparc Team Co-Lead