From: Chris Bainbridge <C.J.Bainbridge@×××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:52:00
1 On Thursday 27 November 2003 16:38, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:19:04 +0000
3 >
4 > Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > My $0.02 is that if this gets implemented, it should be put in so that
6 > > > the default behavior is like portage is now,
7 > >
8 > > Since Portage as it is right now doesn't pay any attention to licenses,
9 > > its legality could be questioned (as with the games issue before?)
10 >
11 > Then if we have vendors who say "you absolutely must interactively accept
12 > our license agreement before using" or something similar, then we'd have
13 > no choice but to limit those licenses in this feature.
14
15 Just to chip in my 2p to the thread that refuses to die. Why does the system
16 administrator have to agree to any license before installing software? He is
17 quite a separate person from the user and copyright law, and licenses like
18 the GPL, only cover redistribution, not installation, so he need not concern
19 himself with those either. Surely if programs have user restrictions then it
20 is the responsibility of the program to display a clip wrap license for each
21 individual user, otherwise how would they be aware one exists?
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list