From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Requiring gentoo.git committers to use their @gentoo.org address
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 08:40:44
1 Hi,
2
3 We currently don't enforce any particular standard for e-mail addresses
4 for developers committing to gentoo.git. FWICS, the majority of
5 developers is using their @gentoo.org e-mail addresses. However, a few
6 developers are using some other addresses.
7
8 Using non-@g.o e-mail addresses generally causes problems
9 in accounting for commits. For example, our retirement scripts can't
10 detect commits made using non-Gentoo e-mail address. My dev-timeline
11 scripts [1] account for all emails in LDAP (which doesn't cover all
12 addresses developers use). FWIK gkeys accounts for all addresses
13 in the OpenPGP key UIDs. In my opinion, that's a lot of hoops to jump
14 through to workaround bad practice.
15
16 Therefore, I'd like to start enforcing (at the level of the hook
17 verifying signatures) that all commits made to gentoo.git (and other
18 repositories requiring dev signatures) are made using @gentoo.org e-mail
19 address (for committer field).
20
21 Is anyone opposed to that? Does anyone know of a valid reason to use
22 non-@g.o address when committing?
23
24 [1]:https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/dev-timeline.html
27 Best regards,