From: Dan Naumov <jago@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage directory hierarchy and XMMS visualisation plugins.
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 17:57:02
1 Hello.
2
3 I wasn't able to find out who I should contact about this matter, so I subscribed to this list hoping that my concern will reach the right person. If I mistaken, please don't shoot me, but rather point me in the correct direction 8)
4
5 After emerging several XMMS visualisation plugins, I've noticed that all of them are located under /portage/media-sound which IMHO, doesn't make much sense seeing as while they're related to an audio program, they're more related to video by themselves. I think it would be better if the XMMS audio-related plugins were kept separated from the visualisations, ie. audio plugins in media-audio and visualisations in media-video. These plugins are also kept separate in the FreeBSD ports system.
6
7 If all XMMS plugins continue to go under media-sound, it will soon be very hard to figure out which are which when browing the portage hierarchy. There are already 14 plugins under media-sound and things start getting confusing for people like me, who prefer to browse the Portage tree "manually" looking for new software rather then using "emerge -s".
8
9 Anyways, just thought I'd share my opinion.
10
11 Sincerely,
12 Dan Naumov (aka Jago on OPN)
15 P.S: I also think that people with commit access to the portage cvs should be provided with clear guidelines on what things go where.
16
17 P.P.S: Thanks for the great distro 8)