From: Ben Lutgens <lamer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage directory hierarchy and XMMS visualisation plugins.
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 18:11:13
1 On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:54:24AM +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
2 >Hello.
3 >
4 >I wasn't able to find out who I should contact about this matter, so I subscribed to this list hoping that my concern will reach the right person. If I mistaken, please don't shoot me, but rather point me in the correct direction 8)
5
6 This probably the best place.
9 >After emerging several XMMS visualisation plugins, I've noticed that all of them are located under /portage/media-sound which IMHO, doesn't make much sense seeing as while they're related to an audio program, they're more related to video by themselves. I think it would be better if the XMMS audio-related plugins were kept separated from the visualisations, ie. audio plugins in media-audio and visualisations in media-video. These plugins are also kept separate in the FreeBSD ports system.
12 In my opinion there aren't enough of them to warrant thier own directory.
13 I think they should all be in x11-misc or perhaps a media-misc. To simplify
14 the install you can (or one of the developers can) create a virtual package
15 that DEPENDS on all the other plugins. Perhaps I'll do that today.
16
17 >If all XMMS plugins continue to go under media-sound, it will soon be very hard to figure out which are which when browing the portage hierarchy. There are already 14 plugins under media-sound and things start getting confusing for people like me, who prefer to browse the Portage tree "manually" looking for new software rather then using "emerge -s".
20 Why would you search manually when we have emerge -s?
21
22 >Anyways, just thought I'd share my opinion.
23
24 Your opinion is very welcome!
25
26 >P.S: I also think that people with commit access to the portage cvs should be provided with clear guidelines on what things go where.
27
28 That's a wee-bit presumptuous of you IMHO. What makes you think we don't
29 have "guidance" on what things go where? Just because it doesn't make sense
30 to you, that doesn't mean we lack leadership or direction. Many moons ago
31 we had things setup very differently in the tree. It seemed we were getting
32 new directories every week and it got a bit cumbersome. We settled on this,
33 at some point it may need to be changed again. Untill then, we go with what
34 we have.
37 Ben Lutgens | http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
38 System Administrator | http://www.sistina.com/
39 Sistina Software Inc. |
40
41 "I got a wife and kids too but you don't see me out here stealing Imperial
42 Droids now do ya?"