From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Resolve build time default editor dependency. (was: How get ebuild provider virtual/category.)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 05:15:16
1 On Sunday 12 November 2006 06:29, Peter Volkov (pva) wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2006-11-12 at 05:54 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > in the example usages you cited, people where using `sudo` to just
4 > > avoid running `su -` first ... in other words, their sudo was
5 > > unlimited ... updating the sudoers file to allow EDITOR via env_keep
6 > > would work fine for them
7 > >
8 > > in that scenario, running any app via EDITOR is not a concern as they
9 > > already have the ability to run any command
10 >
11 > That is right. And I've already raised concerns about this approach in
12 > my mail:
13 > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/44218/focus=44238
14
15 i dont see you discussing this approach at all
16
17 > Do you know any way *how* to specify "safe" editors list inside sudoers?
18
19 trying to maintain such a list is pointless as there will always be someone
20 who likes to use some editor which is not specified in the list ... to answer
21 your question though, i dont believe there is a way in sudoers to say "this
22 env var may only contain XXX list of values"
23
24 > I've spent some time and did not found how can I force sudo to edit
25 > files with only known editors inside EDITOR. env_keep just keep env
26 > variable and does not allow to specify "safe" editors list. I suppose
27 > that this is impossible.
28
29 i think you're confusing situations here ... trying to edit files should be
30 done with `sudo -e` as that will use the user's EDITOR env var ... running
31 `sudo crontab -e` is a different scenario as only crontab knows about the
32 editing as it happens indirectly
33
34 if you have the ability to edit root's crontab however, then you have full
35 access to the machine ... that means you should be using env_keep in the
36 sudoers file for the EDITOR var
37 -mike