From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please retain authorship of contributed patches
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 14:33:36
1 On 11/30/2016 05:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I beg affiliated Gentoo developers to stay sane and be thinking not just
5 >> about numbers of your commits, but also about community spirit and
6 >> relationships. Of course inexperienced contributor gets things not right
7 >> first. In such cases, great maintainers fix that and retain original
8 >> authorship; good maintainers request for changes and resubmission.
11 > ++
12 >
13 > I'd have to hunt for where it is written down, but it can't be said
14 > enough. We should definitely be trying to acknowledge the
15 > contributions of others whenever possible. It is really the only
16 > recognition a lot of "external" contributors get, and it is the least
17 > we can do. This isn't about copyright or policy or anything like
18 > that, but just a nice thing to do, and there is no "threshold" that
19 > external contributors need to make.
20 >
21 > I wouldn't ascribe to malice what is probably just the result of
22 > oversight, but it is a good reminder whatever the case may be...
23
24 +
25
26 As an old 'C' hack, 99.999% of what I've written is hardware centric and
27 not publically published. A good 95% of it is covered by NDAs and
28 ownership/rights as transferred codes. Often I can only speak to
29 potential negotiators of opportunity, in a generic way about a variety
30 of codes and technologies.
33 Many of today's potential employers want to see the open source
34 contributions of potential employees/contractors; I get that. So it is
35 quintessentially important that these sorts of contributors have a list
36 of easy to review works and contributions to show potential employers.
37 Perhaps their own overlay where their works and contributions are
38 duplicated for easy viewing by a potential employer? (I'm certainly not
39 a git-architect) but there is a valid need and this documentation trail
40 would only serve to attract more potential to gentoo's projects.
43 Me, I have a lab full of home-made prototypes and who's who list of
44 EE/CS developers and leaders that I can tap, if I feel the need. I can
45 talk deeply about chipsets and the sorry codes developed by the OEMs
46 (sorry_moto) which were directly embedded into compromise-able routers
47 (like cisco) and such juicy tidbits. Or, I have deeply secretive stories
48 (antidotes) of stories behind the story, than can curl the ear-hairs of
49 most CIO/CT0. But for the youthful devs, it would be very cool if a
50 mechanism/system was deployed at Gentoo for those aspiring devs to
51 enhance their resumes, kinda like a personally attributable changelog or
52 such.
55 Story telling comes with age and wisdom..... knowing when to give the
56 credit to another......
59 hth,
60 James