From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please retain authorship of contributed patches
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 22:17:24
1 On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I beg affiliated Gentoo developers to stay sane and be thinking not just
4 > about numbers of your commits, but also about community spirit and
5 > relationships. Of course inexperienced contributor gets things not right
6 > first. In such cases, great maintainers fix that and retain original
7 > authorship; good maintainers request for changes and resubmission.
10 ++
11
12 I'd have to hunt for where it is written down, but it can't be said
13 enough. We should definitely be trying to acknowledge the
14 contributions of others whenever possible. It is really the only
15 recognition a lot of "external" contributors get, and it is the least
16 we can do. This isn't about copyright or policy or anything like
17 that, but just a nice thing to do, and there is no "threshold" that
18 external contributors need to make.
19
20 I wouldn't ascribe to malice what is probably just the result of
21 oversight, but it is a good reminder whatever the case may be...
24 Rich