From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please retain authorship of contributed patches
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:27:32
1 On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 17:17:16 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:23 PM, Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I beg affiliated Gentoo developers to stay sane and be thinking not just
5 > > about numbers of your commits, but also about community spirit and
6 > > relationships. Of course inexperienced contributor gets things not right
7 > > first. In such cases, great maintainers fix that and retain original
8 > > authorship; good maintainers request for changes and resubmission.
11 > ++
12 >
13 > I'd have to hunt for where it is written down, but it can't be said
14 > enough. We should definitely be trying to acknowledge the
15 > contributions of others whenever possible. It is really the only
16 > recognition a lot of "external" contributors get, and it is the least
17 > we can do. This isn't about copyright or policy or anything like
18 > that, but just a nice thing to do, and there is no "threshold" that
19 > external contributors need to make.
20 >
21 > I wouldn't ascribe to malice what is probably just the result of
22 > oversight, but it is a good reminder whatever the case may be...
23
24 One more reason to use merge commits for pull requests: original
25 author commits with proper authorship will be retained.
26
27 Yes, I know that some people are unhappy with non-linear history,
28 but this is how git works, so there is nothing wrong with merge
29 commits for user-contributed changes.
30
31 Best regards,
32 Andrew Savchenko