From: Andrey Utkin <andrey_utkin@××××××××.com>
To: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please retain authorship of contributed patches
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:58:28
1 On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 02:27:17AM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > One more reason to use merge commits for pull requests: original
3 > author commits with proper authorship will be retained.
4 >
5 > Yes, I know that some people are unhappy with non-linear history,
6 > but this is how git works, so there is nothing wrong with merge
7 > commits for user-contributed changes.
8
9 Hi Andrew,
10
11 I don't see this subject as valid reason to prefer merge commits over
12 rebases. Personally I prefer linear history and rebases.
13
14 I had a commercial project in my practice which was based on Github, and
15 other developers submitted pull requests. My workflow was to rebase the
16 proposed changes onto mainline branch (which of course preserves
17 authorship data), push the updated mainline branch to central repo, and
18 close the PR manually. Not much of work, linear history, git metadata
19 preserved.